"Dome of the Rock" (Arabic: مسجد قبة الصخرة, Hebrew: כיפת הסלע), (NE facade, panel detail with ceramic tiles on the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem. The tiles were added as part of the redecoration of the building ordered by Sultan Suleyman who sent a group of tile-makers from Istanbul to Jerusalem. They were led by Abdullah Tabrizi who signed the cut-tile inscription at the top of the drum with the date 952 AH/AD 1545-6 and the inscription above the north porch with the date 959 AH/AD 1551-2. The tile-makers used a range of techniques, including cut-tile work, cuerda seca, and under-glaze. See: Atasoy, Nurhan; Raby, Julian (1989), Iznik: The Pottery of Ottoman Turkey, London: Alexandra Press, ISBN 978-1-85669-054-6, p. 220.
Photo credit: Andrew Shiva